Thursday, April 19, 2007

Music Review

Seems like it was yesterday when I saw your face
You told me how proud you were, but I walked away
If only I knew what I know today
Ooh, ooh

I would hold you in my arms
I would take the pain away

Thank you for all you've done
Forgive all your mistakes
There's nothing I wouldn't do
To hear your voice again
Sometimes I wanna call you
But I know you won't be there

Ohh I'm sorry for blaming you
For everything I just couldn't do
And I've hurt myself by hurting you

Some days I feel broke inside but I won't admit
Sometimes I just wanna hide 'cause it's you I miss
And it's so hard to say goodbye
When it comes to this, oooh

Would you tell me I was wrong?
Would you help me understand?
Are you looking down upon me?
Are you proud of who I am?

There's nothing I wouldn't do
To have just one more chance
To look into your eyes
And see you looking back

Ohh I'm sorry for blaming you
For everything I just couldn't do
And I've hurt myself, ohh

If I had just one more day
I would tell you how much that I've missed you
Since you've been away
Ooh, it's dangerous
It's so out of line
To try and turn back time

I'm sorry for blaming you
For everything I just couldn't do
And I've hurt myself by hurting you

This song made me rethink my relationship with my grandfather. Since I was 2 years old, he has been my only father figure. One evening back in January I got a call saying that he was at PVH on life support with about a 2% chance of recovery. As usual, to keep myself from thinking the worst, I turned on the radio hoping that it would drown out all pessimism.

When this song first came on, I wanted to turn it because it was a ballad and I didn't really want to hear it, but it grabbed me and pulled me in. Like every "father/daughter" relationship, it has it's ups and downs. We fought like crazy all the time when I was still living at home. I wanted to go out, he would say no. You know, the usual arguments.

"There's nothing I wouldn't do
to have just one more chance
to look into your eyes
and see you looking back"

This verse came to mind when I was allowed to go in to CCU and see him. I just wanted to say how sorry I was for everything whether it be mine or his fault. For the small arguements over nothing, the huge ones where afterwards we didn't talk for days.

Christina Aguilera does an excellent job of pulling people in with this ballad. It's heart felt, very emotional, and she sings it in a way that makes you feel that she can relate to it herself.

My "dad" was on life support for a week and came off of it successfully. Although he has been in and out of the hospital for a few days here and there, he's doing great. And I hope that it stays that way.

***Every story deserves a happy ending***

No comments: